Abbots Tower is a four storey L-Plan tower house with a garret and caphouse. The present tower was built circa 1580 by John Broun, possibly with material from nearby Sweetheart Abbey, which was about to be annexed by the Crown (John's uncle Gilbert being the last Abbot). Archaeology suggests that an earlier pele and barmkin existed on the site, dating from 1541 when John's father, Cuthbert, gained the lands from the abbey (Cuthbert's younger brother, John, was Abbot at this time). Unfortunately the Brouns allied themselves with the Maxwells, and the Counter Reformation, and fell out of favour and into debt. Eventually the estate was sold off in 1627 and the fortalice appears to have been abandoned shortly afterwards. Restoration began in 1990 and took the best part of 15 years to complete.