Once standing on an islet in a loch, Lordscairnie Castle is a 15th century keep of four storeys and an attic to which a stair-wing was added in the 16th century, making the castle L-plan. Above the entrance, in the stair tower, is a machiolation, and the Keep once had bartizans. A single round tower of a 16th century
gatehouse is all that remains of the courtyard.
The basement is vaulted, which has fallen in. The hall was on the first floor, and the floors above, which were divided, contained private chambers.
It was a property of the Lindsay Earls of Crawford from around 1350, and probably the 4th Earl. "Earl Beardie", or "The Tiger Earl", who built the castle. It was abandoned in the 18th century, and the loch drained about 1803. The castle was recently put up for sale.