An eagle-eyed member of the Scottish Castles Association Council spotted that Claypotts Castle in Dundee – usually only available to view from the exterior – would have one of its infrequent openings at the end of September and we spread the news amongst our members. Many jumped at the chance to view this intriguing castle's interior and even bumped into each other at the venue!
It proved a worthwhile visit as the 16th Century tower has been largely unspoilt over the centuries.
Claypotts is a Z-plan castle that was built between 1569-1588 for the Strachan family. It has vaulted basements with the kitchen in the south tower with classic oven and slop. The stairs lead up to the main hall and then the rooms above, though the third floor has not been replaced. The defensive parapets had been lost by MacGibbon & Ross's time. MacGibbon & Ross draw the similarity in plan with Terpersie in Aberdeenshire. It has a wheeled staircase at the join between each round tower with square watch towers at the top.
Article by Scottish Castles Association member Robert Bogdan.
References: MacGibbon & Ross 1887-92 Vol 2 p 208-213; N. Tranter 1962 vol IV p 105-6;