Aldbar Castle in days gone by
This Category B Listed building stood some 2 miles west of the town of Brechin. It was a massive tower house of 1540 built by Sir Thomas Lyon and reckoned a place of some strength.
In the mid 19th century the proprietor, Patrick Chalmers, decided that the tower did not reach his standards and embarked on an extensive rebuilt to convert it into a country mansion. This completely changed its appearance, but from one angle, that in the photograph, the old tower was clearly visible surrounded by its additions. Corbelling, gunloops and iron grills were remarked upon.
Like so many country houses in the 20th century its time was up due to the economic and social changes which followed upon the 2 world wars. Numerous mansions were demolished in this period and their estates broken up. The sheer size of many of these sites made any idea of reuse a non starter.
Aldbar survived until August 1964 when it was ravaged by fire and demolished.
Nothing survives except for a solitary pair of gate posts.
Now we can only imagine what Albar was like in 1540.