Carnousie Castle, Banffshire, owned by members of the Scottish Castles Association
Carnousie Castle stands to the NE of Huntly. The house is a perfect example of a Z-plan castle with alternate round and square towers. The latter bears the date 1577. Remains can be traced of the original garden.
It was greatly enlarged in the 18th century by an addition which did not interfere with the primary build.
After the last war the castle was abandoned and was being used as a pig sty when it was purchased and re-roofed. The extension was demolished and work began to restore the castle to its original 16th century appearance.
Carnousie demonstrates how what was an overlarge building (for modern taste) can be converted into a home.