Caisteal Dubh (Black Castle) stands on the outskirts of the town of Pitlochry in Highland Perthshire. It is an impressive example of a 13th century castle with curtain walls and round towers. It originally stood within a loch (since drained) either upon a crannog or a low mound. Approach would have been by a causeway.
Caisteal Dubh in 1900
Caisteal Dubh - present day
The castle has recently been consolidated with masonry taken down and rebuilt and overhanging stonework supported. The wall heads have been capped with turf and clay to protect from the elements.
Curtain wall with projecting round tower
Caisteal Dubh has been made secure for years to come and for once we have a local authority who appreciates its heritage.
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle