Graighall Castle before 1957
Craighall Castle was situated near to the town of Cupar in Fife.
It was a multi period building. The early tower house (right) was built by Sir Thomas Hope in 1637 and consisted of a long, oblong main block with projecting wings. The corbelled turret dates from this period.
In 1697 it was converted into a handsome country house with a balustraded screen wall between the wings.
By 1793 Craighall was recorded as being ‘in ruin’ and in 1956 it was noted ‘the castle is likely to be demolished shortly owing to its dangerous condition’. Prophetic - it went in 1957 in spite of its Grade B listing.
The stones were removed and all that remains today is rank grass.