newspast & presentdryhope tower (selkirk) – past and present
This gaunt, little tower is strongly situated on the Dryhope Burn in rural Selkirk in the Scottish Borders. Its appearance is the consequence of stone robbing coupled with ruin. Dryhope Tower would have originally been harled (roughcast) and attached to a barmkin (walled enclosure). It rises four floors, the basement and upper floor being vaulted.
In 1592 Dryhope Tower was ordered destroyed by James VI but rebuilt in 1613. By the following century it was abandoned and allowed to fall into ruin but recently it has been rescued and splendidly consolidated by the Philiphaugh Estate.
Article by Scottish Castles Association member Brian McGarrigle.
Visit our Skills and Trades Section