Set in rural Lanark near to Carnwath is this 16th century tower house reduced to a 30 foot staircase tower and the scant remains of the main block. It owes its survival to its use as a farm building. A stone situated above a doorway gives the date of 1567 which accords well with the ruins. The photo on the right was taken during a SCA visit in 2007.
Eastshield as it was (left) and as recorded on a SCA visit in 2007 (right).
Article by SCA member Brian McGarrigle