Jerviston Tower was situated on the banks of the Clyde about one mile north of Motherwell deep in industrial Lanarkshire. It was was a typical medium-sized laird's house of the late 16th century and belonged to the Baillie family.
It was a L-plan tower of 3 storeys and attic with a corbelled staircase in the re-entrant. It formerly bore turrets, the corbelling of which remained.
The entrance was in the stair wing and the lintel carried the initials R B and E H surmounted by a heraldic panel.
The basement was vaulted and the wing carried the turnpike stair as far as the first floor where upward movement was by the exterior turret.
In 1935 Nigel Tranter could describe Jerviston as 'in good repair, though now unoccupied'. In 1953 it was 'still roofed and complete, but becoming dilapidated and sinking due to collapsed mine workings'.
In 1965 Tranter was reassured that 'arrangements are on foot for its rehabilitation'. Sorry Nigel, wrong on this one! Jerviston was totally demolished and the site turned into a golf course.