Pitfichie Castle (Aberdeenshire)
Pitfichie Castle consists of a rectangular block dominated by a circular angle tower dating 1560-70.
The castle was unroofed in 1796 and in 1936 the entire east wall and south gable collapsed prompting cries for complete demolition.
Douglas Simpson, that champion of Scottish castles, was instrumental in preventing this.
The ruin was sold in 1978 to Aberdeen antique dealer Mr Colin Insch who commenced restoration with work being completed in 1996. The castle is now a private residence.
With its white harled walls and rugged skyline Pitfichie forms a beautiful addition to the landscape of Scotland - and one that was so nearly lost!