Towie Castle was demolished in 1968 by Aberdeen Regional Council
Towie Castle stood on the banks of the River Don near the parish church of Towie.
It was a vaulted, elongated L-plan tower house of 1618 with fine label moulding on the turrets. The latter feature is popular in the NE and to be found at its best at Allardice Castle.
Towie was altered in 1788 but like so many of its kind was abandoned and allowed to fall into ruin. In 1941 there was a serious fall of masonry and what remained was demolished in 1968 by Aberdeen Regional Council. Their reason was that a school was envisaged and that a ruined castle would constitute a danger to children.
"Place not thy trust in Councils"
A heap of rubble was left to mark the site until Grampian Regional Council finished the job in the 1980s. Just what is lost can be seen from the photograph which dates from around 1900. To paraphrase Thomas Wentworth: 'Place not thy trust in Councils.'
Towie is famous for the the fire that occurred there in 1571 when it was attacked and burned by Adam Gordon, brother of the Earl of Huntly, when the lady of the house, children and servants, 27 in number, all perished in the flames. Our castle was bult on its site.